From: Fallen Heroes Scholarships Selection Board
Via: VAAFA Executive Committee
Subj: FY-12 VAAFA FALLEN HEROES SCHOLARSHIP BOARD RESULTS
I. Remarks. Congratulations to the candidates who have been selected to receive the Fallen Heroes Scholarship by the FY-12 Scholarship Selection Board. The number of high caliber candidates who was evident by the exceptional quality of essays, made the selection process challenging and necessitated the dedication of additional time in order to ensure that each candidate’s application received their due diligence review.
It is the intention and wish of the Scholarship Selection Board and Executive Committee that the recipients of the scholarship will always be mindful of those Vietnamese American Armed Forces service members who gave the ultimate sacrifice in defense Freedom and Democracy for our great Country. Recipients are encouraged to work to promote the recognition and memory of these Fallen Heroes within their community.
Recipients of the scholarship are encouraged, if possible without incurring any financial hardship, to attend the VAAFA Annual banquet being held this year in Indianapolis, IN. Although highly encouraged, it is not mandatory.
II. Selection Standard. The committee selected as recipients those candidates whom the majority of the board considered to demonstrate actions and values consistent with VAAFA’s mission and principles and uphold the high standards of selfless service to their community.
a. Committee members were asked to conduct a thorough review of each candidate’s application and rate through the choice of their confidence factor (100%, 75%, 50%, 0), as to whether the candidate’s met the following criteria’s as set forth in the Selection precept.
1. Candidate’s academic potential (GPA).
2. Candidate’s demonstrated community service
3. Candidate’s reply to “What does it mean to be a Vietnamese American & How does that influence your perspective as being an American in this country?”.
4. Candidate’s reply to “Based on our VAAFA core values, pick three and recite specific examples how it applies to you and your community as an individual and as a role model?”.
5. Candidate’s leadership potential.
6. Candidate’s public service potential.
7. Candidate’s attention to detail.
8. Candidate’s potential as a VAAFA ambassador.
III. Scholarship Selectees.
The Vietnamese American Armed Forces Association (VAAFA) is proud to
announce the following outstanding Vietnamese American students who have been selected as this year’s recipient of the VAAFA Fallen Heroes Scholarship. Each recipient will receive a check of $1,000 to support his/her college studies. The goal of this scholarship is to support outstanding Vietnamese American students financially in their pursuit of college studies while actively promoting the recognition and acknowledgement of the Thirteen (13) Vietnamese American Fallen Heroes who gave their lives in support of freedom for this country.
- Mr. Brandon K. Vu from Orange , CA; he will attend Sanford University
- Ms. Krystal H. Lam from Westminster, CA; she will attend University of California-Irvine
- Ms. Tranganh Doanvo from Garden Grove, CA; she will attend University of California- Santa Cruz
- Mr. Brian S Phan from San Diego, CA; he will attend California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- Ms. Uyen “Tina” H. Lam from Fishers, IN; she will attend Indiana University
- Ms. Andrea T. Nguyen from San Gabriel, CA; she will attend Pasadena City College
IV. Notification. In addition to this selection message, all candidates will receive an email notification and a paper letter of acceptance or denial. All candidates who were not selected are encouraged to apply again next year. Please check back for the new application to be posted. Scholarship recipients will receive a letter detailing how and when they will receive the certificate and check.
Congratulations once again to our scholarship recipients and all candidates for a job well done!
Other scholarship questions and inquiries may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling Lieutenant Colonel (Retired) Ross Nguyen at 703-577-8731.